I just finished my cereal and it is about ten in the morning. Grace is watching cartoons, Derek is watching some ESPN and Ryan is asleep. This best part of this day is that we all slept under the same roof last night. My family is all together again!!We went to the hospital yesterday morning and the doctor told us that we would be able to take Ryan home that afternoon. There was a little panic on my part, but the doctor reassured me that everything would be fine. The social worker helped me set-up home health and I rushed home to make sure everything was perfect for Ryan's first trip home and to pick up the car seat.
After he had finished his medication Derek and I got him dressed (he looked so cute in his outfit and it makes him look so little) and we went home. I picked Grace up from my friend, Ang, and came home to a photo shoot. Derek has taken so many pictures of Ryan which is very good because if I was in charge of the camera we wouldn't have any pictures. Derek went back to work (he has re-arranged his work schedule a million times because our plans of bringing Ryan home has changed a lot) and I put Ryan in his crib for a nap. After a few minutes he made some noise and went in to check on him. There was blood on his crib sheets. I hurried and picked him up and found that it was coming from his IV in his head. My mind stopped working, so I took a few deep breaths. After a few phone calls Grace, Ryan and I loaded into the car. Grace went back to Ang's house. She is just one of the angel's in this story.Ryan and I went to the Emergency Room and Derek met us there. The nurse checked him and decided that his IV had come out. We went into the waiting room, which is half of the experience in an ER. We decided to have Derek pick Grace up and play with her at home and I would stay with Ryan. We went into an exam room and were met by several doctors, a nurse and a nursing student came in (not the most reassuring picture to a worried mother). After about 45 minutes one of the doctors was able to put a new IV into his arm. She used to work at Primary Children's Hospital. The doctors and nurses are a few more of the angels. They made the IV in his arm so stable it will not come out until we remove it. The IVs that he has had in his head have never been very stable because of all his hair. We then made our second trip home from the hospital that day.

The nurse came over to our house last night and I knew that she was going to be an angel because she had the most beautiful red hair. She taught me how to administer the medication and what times Ryan needs to have his meds. She helped me give him his first dose.I gave him his second set of meds this morning at 7 and it went smooth. This morning I am feeling a little tired, but am also feeling so much gratitude and relief. I am grateful that Grace has been so patient with the circus she has been living with, I am grateful to Derek who has been a strength and a calming influence to all our family. I am also very grateful to my mother for all the times I have called her in a hysterical state and the time that she has taken to comfort me. I am very grateful for Derek's parents who have watched Grace many of these past days and have been a comfort as well. Thanks to everyone for the kinds notes and flowers and cookies and meals. We are grateful for all the prayers that have been offered on our behalf. I have felt a comfort and strength that I know comes only from our Heavenly Father. We are truly blessed.
Ryan should be completely finished with his medication on Saturday night. I am glad that he is home! We love you all!!!


13 comments:
Thanks for the update and darling pictures. You guys have had enough excitement for one week. We wish you peace and lots of sleep!
The Cullimore Parents (& Grandparents)
What a sweet little guy. Glad that everyone is home safe and sound. Grace looks like she is going to be a perfect big sister.
I'm so glad that you are all home and that you are all doing so well! Congratulations! He is adorable!
Wow! You guys have been through a lot! We've been checking your blog multiple times a day to find out how Ryan is doing. He is such a cute little guy, and the pictures of the two kids together are precious! You're in our thoughts and prayers!
We're so glad Ryan is home and doing well. I want to see more pictures of that hair! He looks so much like Derek! Mini- how do you look so good after all this?! We love you guys! Give Grace kisses from us and tell her Sophie is excited to see her in March!
So glad to hear that everything is okay. Ryan is adorable.
Hooray! We prayed everyday for him. What a cute little guy. And you know my family loves redheads:)
Welcome home Melinda and Ryan! What peace it must bring to have everyone all at home together! Melinda, you look beautiful! We will continue to keep little Ryan (and your whole family) in our hearts and prayers!
-Laura Ellis
I'm so glad to hear that you guys got to bring Ryan home! I can only imagine how happy you guys must be to have him home with you! I hope he continues to improve rapidly!
I'm so glad to hear you were able to take Ryan home. I can only imagine the Roller coaster you must of ridden this past little while...but it looks like you're taking it like a champ:) Ryan is simply adorable, as well as big sister Grace... and You look Great! I never look that good right after having a baby:) Congratulations and I hope everything continues to go well!
We are glad that he is home safe! Your new family is so cute. Ryan looks like a miniature Derek!
Yay! Glad he could come home with you guys. Congratulations.
Melinda, I know this is the last thing you have time for with a new baby, so no pressure, but you've been tagged. Hope you're getting lots of sleep!
Post a Comment