Many of you know what a huge Atlanta Braves fan I am. I watch as many of their games as I can (which is a lot). I read all the articles on their website and I follow them like the crazy fanatic that I am.Where did this all start? Growing up was full of memories of watching the Atlanta Braves and following Dale Murphy. I collected as many Dale Murphy baseball cards as I could (I ended up with over 200) and cheered like crazy for him. My brother Brady and I would typically try and wear #3 on our little league teams and our Jr. Jazz teams or whatever it was because "The Murph" wore number 3. I read his books and tracked him fanatically. He was important to my dad and mom and my family, not only for how he played...but for the great guy that he was and all of the good he was about.

I really wanted to serve my mission in Boston because Dale Murphy was called to be the Mission President of that mission at about the time I was getting ready to turn in my papers. I went to New Jersey, so I was very close.

When I got married Melinda bought into my fanatical Braves addiction and we even began venturing out to watch the Braves on the road and even at home. While there I was able to see all sorts of Dale Murphy stuff in their museum and to see where his number was retired, etc. Here are some pictures:

Today I finally met one of my childhood heroes...Dale Murphy!

He came to do some stuff for the Salt Lake Bees and even though I don't work there anymore, I was able to meet him and talk to him for a pretty significant amount of time. We had lunch and I got some pictures with him, etc. The guys there were telling him what a huge Braves fan and Dale Murphy fan that I am. I look up to the man even more than before. One of the reasons I applaud him is for his undying service to the church and for keeping his attitude and morals in an industry where that is typically hard. What an amazing day!
5 comments:
Awesome, Derek. Glad I found your blog. Your family looks great. Well done!
That is cool that you got to meet Dale Murphy. Melinda..thanks for the compliment. Mike thought that Taffy Town provided the Taffy since they were holding boxes, but I looked at their website and fudge was no where to be found. It really was so good. Probably the best I have ever had. I will have to contact the Glades for some more. Please tell the Bishopric thanks for the nice gift.
Derek, that is so awesome!! Congrats on meeting a childhood hero! Sounds like you and your family are doing great!
-Laura
Derek, that is so amazing that you got this opportunity!! I can feel your giddy-ness!! I love when childhood dreams come true!!
Cool opportunity Derek. How's the softball team doing?
Post a Comment