The old saying when wishing someone good luck is..."Break a leg"! Well, I am not too fond of that saying anymore.
We will try to catch up on some blog posts here soon, we have really been lacking lately, but the latest news is that I busted my leg last Monday while playing softball. It was quite the ordeal. I was running to first base, sprinting as hard as I could to beat out a grounder, and the throw was off a little bit which forced the rather large first baseman right into my running path. It all happened so fast, we collided and our legs banged together. All of my weight was pushed forward on my left leg and you could immediately hear this big popping or snapping sound. I fell to the ground and I think I blacked out for a few seconds. I could hear people saying things like "It's broken, we need some help over here!" and "Did the bone pop through the skin?"...
Anyway, the paramedics came and immediately gave me an IV and morphine and moved me onto a stretcher. I was taken to Timpanogos Hospital where surgery was performed on my left leg later that night. The surgery lasted about 3 hours.
What they did was put a titanium rod through the busted tibia bone to connect to the other part of my tibia bone. The break in my leg was clean. I broke straight through my tibia bone and my fibula bone.


I am on the mend, it is slow and painful...but hopefully the recovery will go well and go quickly. I am on crutches and mostly am laying around elevating my leg and taking pain medication to help get me through the discomfort. They had to attach the rod in my leg with a plate and screws on each side of the rod. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up.


I spent 2 nights in the Timpanogos hospital and was overwhelmed by the calls and in person visits. Thank you all for your support during this strange time! We love you! DC
7 comments:
oh my goodness Derek! I am so sorry! Glad you are on the mend, but so sorry it happened at all!
Why Timpanogos Hospital? Was your game down here? You are still up North, right?
Seriously! Maybe you need to slow down a little and this is the only way to get you to do it ;0). We are still looking forward to playing nerts while you have limited mobility- ha! Love you guys!
By the way- I think you should post pics of your leg and x-rays. People will be super impressed with your battle wounds!
Yikes! This sounds too painful. And to top it off you live on the top floor. That totally stinks. You should have had Joe man up and give you a piggy down the stairs yesterday. I would have. Hope you feel better soon! :)
Good gravy! Get better soon. Our baby broke her femur a little more that a year ago; yours looks and sounds ten times that bad. Ouch!
If that bruise on your leg is any indication of what is under your wrap, then it's a good thing you are taking so many pain meds. Aaron and I hope you heal really fast because the ward really needs you.
So sorry about your leg, Derek. I hope the pain eases soon. We hope to be able to see you when we're in town next week. Take it easy - well, that was a silly thing to say - of course you'll be taking it easy - not too many choices there.....Love ya!
Post a Comment