Saturday, February 27, 2010

Melinda's Wisdom Tooth Tale

Well yesterday Melinda had her wisdom teeth removed. She had two in the top part, everything seemed to go pretty smooth.

We arrived at the oral surgeon's office around 11:10 and they took her right back. I brought my book prepared to be reading for a while, I did a few emails on my phone and at 11:30, just as I was ready to get my book out, the nurse came out and told me they were done and that I could go back to see her. I was surprised how quick it was. That has to be some kind of record.

When I went back she was resting peacefully in the bed with a blanket over her. After a few minutes she kind of woke up, although she was quite out of it from the anesthesia. She said a few things to me (which she repeated several times during the day), but I knew she wouldn't remember any of those exchanges. The doctor came out and spoke to me and made me watch an absolutely exhilarating video about her recovery and then we were on our way out to the car.

Here you can see her napping at home with 2 bags of frozen peas on each side of her face and propped up with plenty of pillows. I am amazed how much she did not swell, when I got my wisdom teeth removed about 15 years ago, I swelled up like a chipmunk!

Anyway, Melinda repeated a few things she had already told me through the early afternoon, needless to say she was a little loopy from the anesthesia. I remember that from my surgeries on my leg, I kept asking Melinda the same questions over and over again, it was funny to have a role reversal on this one.

Anyway, she is doing pretty well. She is quite sore and uncomfortable today, but hopefully with some continued rest it will heal very quickly.

Here is Ryan paying mom a visit! Yes, his shirt says "Future Knight in Shining Armor"

Thanks to all that have sent their warm regards and thoughts.

5 comments:

Sare said...

Melinda's quite photogenic for just having had surgery in her jawline- BRAVO!!
Hope you all are doing well. :)

Charis said...

I am glad things went well. I have to agree with Sarah, Melinda looks great for having just had her teeth yanked out of her head! Let us know if you need anything.

Letterpress said...

Give her our best--she's got a great nurse!

Elizabeth & Dave E.

Sharon and John said...

Wow, you did not swell at all! I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. But I am curious the questions asked repeatedly after anesthesia, it seems like they could potentially be VERY funny.

Bart said...

Glad Melinda survived - that would not be fun. Ryan sure is a cute kid! Great picture.