Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Sweetheart!

Today is Melinda's birthday! I just wanted to take a moment to honor her and tell her how much I appreciate her and love her.

For those of you that know Melinda well, you know one of the most charitable and sweet people out there. I consider myself lucky every day that she came into my life. I first met Melinda on December 6, 2000 at a devotional at Utah Valley State College's Institute of Religion. I returned from my LDS mission on December 5, 2000 in the evening. So, I met Melinda the day after I got home from my mission. I remember feeling how sweet and special she was and, of course, being wildly attracted to her as well. She gave the closing prayer at the devotional I was at with a bunch of my friends and made sure to go up and meet her after the devotional had ended.


By pure luck (or destiny) we ended up in the same Institute class at the beginning of the next semester and became great friends. I remember many nights we would stay on the phone until 2 or 3 in the morning and then be at the Institute building at 6 am for a leadership meeting. I have always been amazed by her capacity to serve others and the way that she can sense if others are struggling and reaches out to help them. I also remember almost every teacher and leader in the Institute program stopping me in the hall while Melinda and I were dating and telling me how special she was and, more or less, how each of them would hunt me down if I ever did anything to hurt her. She has always been respected by her peers and any other individuals who have had the chance to work with her or get to know her.


I love Melinda's happy demeanor, I love her charitable nature, I love her smile, I love her sense of humor, I love watching her care for our children, I love watching and listening to her play the violin, I love her selflessness, I love how she can make anyone in the room feel special, I love her patience (she has a lot, she has to be married to me after all), I love how hard-working she is, I love her beauty, I love how she makes me feel when I am in her presence, I love her messages she leaves for me or sends me telling me how much she loves me, I love her charisma, I love her! The list could go on and on...she truly is the light of my life!


Melinda is an amazing person. I think it quite a tribute to her that she has 2 children and a college degree and is just now turning 25. She finished her degree when only 23 years old and had Grace when she was 20 and Ryan just before her 25th birthday. She has always been driven and passionate about the things she chooses to involve herself in.


Melinda, I love you so much and wish you the happiest of birthdays! I want to thank you for everything! Love, your hubby forever -- DC

5 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Melinda! Derek, what a nice tribute to your sweet wife! You guys are great!

-Laura E.

Kenna said...

That was so nice... and I agree:) Happy Birthday Melinda! Do you still have your Pooh sweatshirt with your name on!!:) I did finally get rid of mine, it was kinda tough though! Well I hope you got something better for your birthday than a Pooh sweatshirt this year, hope it was a good day!

Jana said...

Happy birthday Melinda! I'm sorry we are going to miss your party. I hope it is great!

Lisa said...

Happy birthday Melinda! We miss being near your wonderful family!

Damien Stepick said...

You should appreciate her... anyone who would agree to put up with you for all of eternity is on the fast track to the Celestial Kingdom!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELINDA!!!