Thursday, October 16, 2008

BYU Smashed -- Streaks Come to an End


I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I was dead wrong about this game and, in all actuality, probably this year's team. Bottom line -- BYU got beat by the better team tonight and this one really, really hurts.

We all have to keep in mind that fan is short for fanatical and it is fair to say that I am fanatical about my Cougs. For anyone that may have suggested to me that I am like all BYU fans and that all BYU fans are the same is sad. I am not naive enough to suggest that BYU would beat Oklahoma 35-7 or things like that, I would like to think I have deserved more credit for that as an objective person, who is also a loyal fan of my team. I also feel that my ties to BYU are valid because of where I grew up and the sheer amount of memories I have with family while attending BYU games. To discount someone's loyalty and "fan-dom" to a team because they did not attend that school is silly and really grasping for straws. People are entitled to cheer for whoever they would like and shouldn't have to justify it. Perhaps my ties to BYU are much more than the school that their sports programs are tied to, perhaps it is all of my best childhood memories and in many ways my connection to so many friends and family.

Enough of this waxing philospohical. The point is, I am man enough to admit that BYU has been overrated this year and that there are many teams out there that have better athletes and get the top rated recruits better. But I am still proud of my Cougs and will always be a fan regardless of how bad they may sometimes perform.

I am ecstatic about the way Bronco has gone about his business and I know many exciting things are to come for this program. This year will definitely not be the one that many of us were hoping for, but we still need to stick behind our team and cheer them on to the finish line!

4 comments:

Damien Stepick said...

LOL... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....

BYU got smashed... all jacked up tonight!!!!! BYE BYE BCS...

It was only a dream anyways, but losing to Texas Christian University hurts man... it hurst like... like.... like few things hurt... with BYU's remaining schedule (all undefeated teams) the team that had a chance at ultimate college glory may not even get second rate glory... a conference title...

WOW... I thought BYU was better than they, but I gues I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!

sambritt said...

Don't go overboard. Come away from the cliff.

Tough game, on a tough night, against the best D in D-1, who had spent all summer scheming for BYU; in the midst of huge winning streak that makes it impossible to truly focus and remember what it was like to lose; having swept the conference 2 years in a row, with every team shooting for you....

It was an off night. They are still as good now as they were 3 weeks ago - now they have a chance to rededicate themselves, improve, and have a great season.

BCS is the world's measurement; Bronco and BYU are not bound by it, and the fans shouldn't hold them to it either.

Gary said...

Come on ... Let's place the blame where it's deserved....on your parents (mom and pop Cullimore). I seem to remember that every time they go to an away game, BYU loses. Why did they have to go to the TCU game?
I hope they don't have a trip to Salt Lake planned on November 22nd.

Anonymous said...

If thats the case I hope your parents are going to the game in Salt Lake. Go UTES!